Searching for Easter eggs are always a blast in a glass for little kiddos out there, but who says you can’t enjoy a little fun and games as a an adult? Inside each truffle lies a chocolate dipped pretzel, adding a salty crunch to the sweet cookie dough… what a fun surprise!
I must give my boyfriend full credit for this one… I recently made chocolate chip cookie dough truffles and I must admit, it was insanely sweet. After trying one, my boyfriend had the brilliant beyond brilliant idea to add a chocolate dipped pretzel in the center to add some crunch and salt. Yes, this is why I love him. #genius
Starting with the inner most part of the truffle (the pretzel), we dipped the pretzel in dark chocolate. If we wrapped cookie dough around a bare pretzel, the pretzel would have a shelf life of only a few days until it became soggy. Therefore, by dipping the pretzel in chocolate, the pretzel now has a shell that prevents it from coming in contact with the cookie dough directly.
Next, we have the eggless cookie dough. Our chocolate chip cookie dough requires milk instead of egg so it’s entirely safe to eat! We use mini chocolate chips, which make the cookie dough super fun to eat.
And finally, for the coating, we utilize dark chocolate melts instead of milk, semi-sweet, or white chocolate melts, simply because the bitterness of the dark chocolate dampens down the richness of the cookie dough, making it to be the perfect bite-sized dessert! #winning
The most fun part about this treat is the fact that it can be decorated for any holiday or any event – it doesn’t need to be decorated for easter. If you’re wanting to create cookie dough truffles with a chocolate dipped pretzel inside, you can definitely reshape the truffle so it’s more rounded and less oval. Take Valentine’s Day, for instance! These cookie dough truffles can be shaped into a heart and dipped and decorated for your love. You can drizzle with different colors or even top with a variety of sprinkles. This is creativity at it’s finest, my friends!
Happy Easter, everyone! Hope you enjoy these eggless chocolate chip cookie dough truffles with a fun surprise in the center!
- 2 dozen mini pretzels
- 1 cup dark chocolate melts
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- dark chocolate melts
- Begin by making the chocolate chip cookie dough first. In a large bowl, mix softened butter with sugar until creamy. Add milk and vanilla and mix until fully combined. Add flour until just incorporated. Pour in mini chocolate chips and mix completely.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in fridge until cookie dough becomes firm (at least one hour).
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper.
- Melt dark chocolate melts in 30 second increments at half power until fully melted.
- Using two forks, dip one pretzel in the cup of melted dark chocolate. Be sure to coat the pretzel completely. Remove the pretzel with one fork, gently tapping the rim of the cup to let the excess dark chocolate fall back into the cup. Using the other fork, transfer the pretzel off the original fork and onto the wax lined baking sheet.
- Allow chocolate covered pretzels to harden completely. You may store in fridge until ready to use.
- Once the cookie dough is more firm, scoop about an inch of cookie dough into your hand and evenly coat around the dark chocolate dipped pretzel. Because the pretzel is not perfectly round, the cookie dough truffle should be in the shape of an oval. Place the egg shaped truffle back onto the wax lined baking sheet.
- Cover with wrap and put the baking sheet in the fridge to allow the cookie dough to harden just a bit more.
- If needed, melt the dark chocolate 30 more seconds at half power until the dark chocolate is melted completely.
- Using the same method as before (with the two forks), dip one cookie dough truffle into the dark chocolate, ensuring each side has been drenched in chocolate. Remove the truffle with one fork and gently tap the side of the cup to allow the excess chocolate to drip back into the cup. Using the other fork, sweetly push the chocolate chip truffle back onto the wax paper. Because the cookie dough is cold, the chocolate should harden quickly.
- Place in fridge until ready to eat.
- Bon appétiti!