If it’s crunchy, I want it. Any dessert that has that crunch factor, GIMME!! Chocolate covered pretzels, YUP. Peanut butter cookies with crunchy peanut butter, YES PLEASE. English toffee, YUM. Ice cream with Kit Kat bars, SIGN. ME. UP.
And look what you’ve done, Kell. It’s 7:00 a.m. and you’re already craving ice cream. #typical ?
Well you know what they say, there’s no better time than the present, so yes, at 7:00 a.m. on a Saturday, I’m starting to bake. There has to be some breakfast essential involved in baking this morning, right? Might as well start making muddy buddies (or puppy chow, as my roommates call it)! Since Valentine’s Day is right around the corner, we’re going to make red velvet muddy buddies! ❤️??
My first muddy buddies I ever had consisted of Rice Chex cereal, peanut butter, chocolate, and powdered sugar. But with PLB, we’re always taking things to the next level. For our red velvet muddy buddies, we’ll be using both Rice Chex cereal and powdered sugar, but we’ll also add red velvet cake mix and white chocolate melting morsels. Oh, and who can forget the Valentine’s Day themed M&Ms? Like I always say, the more chocolate, the merrier!
One of the most important things you’ll need for these muddy buddies is a large Ziploc bag. Once the white chocolate is spread evenly over the Chex cereal, we’ll add the coated Chex to the bag that’s mixed with red velvet cake mix and powdered sugar. And then, the best part of all, SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE!
It’s currently 7:10 a.m. and I can’t wait any longer. My tummy needs these muddy buddies NOW.
- 5 Rice Chex cereal
- 1 1/2 cups white chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups red velvet cake mix (I used the Duncan Hines brand)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup Valentine’s Day themed M&Ms
- Line a baking sheet with wax (or parchment) paper and set aside.
- Measure 5 cups of Rice Chex cereal into a large bowl and set aside.
- In a large Ziploc bag, mix together powdered sugar and red velvet cake mix.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt white chocolate morsels on 50% power in 30 second intervals until melted completely, stirring each time.
- Pour over the top of the Rice Chex cereal. Use your hands to evenly coat each piece of cereal.
- Working quickly, scoop the Rice Chex into the Ziploc bag that contains the red velvet cake mix and powdered sugar.
- Seal the bag and shake, shake, shake! The white chocolate on the cereal acts as glue so the cake mix and powdered sugar mixture will stick to the Rice Chex.
- Spread the cereal out on the lined baking sheet and mix in 1 cup of M&Ms.
- Allow muddy buddies to cool completely before serving. I prefer to put my muddy buddies in the fridge because 1) I’m impatient and 2) I think they taste better when they’re cold!
- BON APPÉTIT!