OREOS. ARE. EVERYTHING.
Seriously, can anyone go wrong with Oreos? Sure, we all have our favorites (have you tried the birthday cake Oreo? If not, you’ve got to add it to your next grocery list!) but Oreo truffles will be your next go-to Oreo, I’m sure of it! Oreo truffles are simply irresistible in my household (and no one wants to take full responsibility for snagging them). Every time I make Oreo truffles, they’re gone in minutes. They’re a real winner with everyone, such a huge crowd pleaser! And the good news for us pretty little bakers is that they’re the easiest treats to make!
Oreo truffles require three ingredients: Oreos, cream cheese, and dipping chocolate.
But with Christmas right around the corner, I like to take Oreo truffles to the next level by adding peppermint. Don’t get me wrong, traditional Oreo truffles are perfect for any occasion, even the holidays! But why not give our truffles that extra feeling of wintertime?!
Imagine this: You’re lounging on the couch, all wrapped up in a blanket, fireplace turned on low, lighting is dim, snow is gently falling outside, Bing Crosby is playing in the background, a cup of hot cocoa in your right hand, your Christmas tree lit up, and a plate of peppermint Oreo truffles on the coffee table in front of you… ok, friends, now we’re talking!
But enough talking, let’s get baking!
- 1 package of regular Oreos (not Double Stuf!)
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 TSP peppermint extract
- 1 package Wilton's melting white chocolate
- OPTIONAL: food coloring for drizzle AND/OR crushed up candy canes
- Line an 8x8 Pyrex baking dish with parchment paper.
- Crush Oreos in a food processor. If you don't have a food processor, you can put a couple of Oreos in a Ziploc bag and use a rolling pin to finely crush them.
- Pour crushed Oreos into a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In a smaller mixing bowl, blend together cream cheese and peppermint extract.
- Add cream cheese mixture to bowl with crushed Oreos. Use a back of a spoon to press the Oreos into the cream cheese.
- Scoop mixture out and form into one inch balls and align on your cookie sheet.
- Place Oreo balls in freezer for 10 minutes.
- Melt white chocolate in microwave-safe bowl at 50% power in 30-second increments, stirring after each time, until smooth. *Note: I added one drop of green food coloring to the white chocolate to give it a hint of color.
- Remove Oreo balls from freezer. Use a spoon to help dip the balls into the melted white chocolate. Allow excess white chocolate to drip from the Oreo ball before placing on wax paper.
- OPTIONAL: top with crushed peppermint or drizzle with red/pink melting chocolate.
- Store in fridge until ready to indulge!
- BON APPÉTIT!